Re: Test

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2010 - 14:05:41 EDT

On Tue, March 30, 2010 12:09 pm, Josh Battles wrote:

> In today's world of broadband internet and fast wireless service

Must be nice... wonder when Canada is going to catch up. Well, okay, we
do have some wireless data services available, but I'd rather pay the rent
every month.

> I'm not
> sure plain text is really necessary anymore. Maybe if we were all still
> using 9600 baud dialup service...

It isn't as much about bandwidth as all the harmful crap that can easily
be hidden within HTML. I personally hate HTML e-mail, I think we need to
define a "safe" subset to allow for text formatting or displaying static
images but disallow things like remote references and scripts. All it
takes is for one person to get some shiny new malware that spams itself
out to everyone in their address book, and you can have all kinds of nasty
crap coming in through the list that looks okay at first glance. It would
be nice if everyone had a secure e-mail client that didn't open them up to
this kind of attack, but that's a long way off. This is part of the
reason why attachments are also forbidden on the list (although bandwidth
is a bigger consideration there).

Plus, I think Jon usually reads e-mail on a remote terminal window using a
text-only client. Since Jon runs the list, the list runs on text :-).