Removal of A/C condenser on a '97 Dakota Sport (3.9L V6; 2WD): the procedure

From: Tom Coulter (metalshop@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Apr 21 2010 - 16:50:59 EDT

Having just been to hell & back, and spending an inordinate amount of time
groping and guessing about the procedure, I thought I'd post this as a
contribution:

1) Loosen fan shroud (4 10mm bolts)
2) Loosen batter mount so battery can be shifted to access upper radiator
mount bolt).
3) Drain the radiator.
4) Disconnect the radiator hoses.
5) Disconnect the transmission coolant lines from the radiator (?" & ¾"
fittings).
6) Remove 2 upper radiator mounting bolts (10mm). For the driver's side
bolt, you may have to cock the battery to allow the ratchet to fit into
place (it's very tight).
7) Remove the radiator. On the bottom outer edges of the radiator are 2
spurs (~ 1½" long) that fit into rubber grommets in the lower radiator
support member. Lift the radiator straight up.
8) Disconnect the A/C lines from the condenser. This requires a special
tool to release the spring garters in each joint.
9) Remove the 2 upper condenser mounting bolts (10mm).
10) Remove the condenser. The stock condenser sits in a high-impact plastic
housing, the bottom of which has 2 flat arms/ears that extend behind the
condenser. On the ends of these arms are spurs (~¾" long) that - as with
the radiator - fit into rubber grommets in the lower radiator support
member. In the new (aftermarket) condenser I bought, the arms are steel and
the spurs ½" bolts, which threw me off. Like a dope, I spent time looking
for lower bolts fastening the bottom the condenser.

Obviously, installation is the reverse. Coolant fluid has to be added and
the R134 recharged.
As I said before, it's totally insane that you'd have to remove the radiator
to get the condenser out, or vice versa.

Hope this helps someone out. If you have all parts & tools at the ready,
it's about a two 6-pack job.