Re: Drum size

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue May 11 2010 - 11:05:56 EDT

On 11-May, 2010, at 02:27 , TerribleTom wrote:

> The point of that story was to illustrate that you can't try and figure out certain things based on how the truck was built.

sure gets to keep your life interesting!

midyear changes and bad memories are the bane of the parts guy' s existance :)

on my trip to Big Dogs a couple weekends ago I had a weird noise that I couldn't ID for most of the weekend. It was related to tire rotation, and it would come and go. I found it our last night in camp: it was a broken brake drum. Yeah, it had a stuck parking brake cable a couple years back and got real thin, I kept running it. It finally gave out. There's not enough of it left to measure accurately but I bet it was up to about a 12.4 ID when max spec is 12.050.....

Anyway, there are two brake options for the 10.25 that I have in the back of it, 12x2.5 and 12x3. I thought I remembered that I had the smaller size, which worked out well since I was weighing the options of a disc brake swap vs fixing the drum, and RockAuto had a single drum on clearance for $30 (they are something like $100 drums, retail). I got it, and had to spend some quality time with a flap wheel opening up the center bore to get it all the way on since I do indeed have the 12x3 brakes. Oh well. The shoes are totally shot anyway, I just needed a quick cheap fix. Most of the shoe is covered and it has a brake pedal again, I'm happy :) With the welded rear it's sure not to pull one way or the other anyway.

Between that and a zip tie holding the fuel shutdown solenoid on my Cummins as of last night, just call me shortcut - and remember: there's no permanent fix like a temporary fix! :)

Mike

wrinkles
571
cummins
stuff

should really make a sig on this computer. meh.