Two questions - steering and diff.

From: Robert Schultz (rob@schultzfamily.ca)
Date: Sat May 15 2010 - 22:02:00 EDT

Guys. Been a while since I've been on - my internet provider just
wouldn't let me get to the list. Fixed now.

SO I have two questions I'm hoping you guts can help with:

#1. Changed the rear diff oil for the first time in way too long. Found
a broken steel collar (hollow steel tube) on the magnet - its about an
inch long and 3/4" in diameter and the metal is about 1/16" thick.
Anyone care to guess what it is?

#2 Had to change the intermediate shaft in the steering. The steering
wheel sits at a bit of an angle now. Didn't think is should but it does.
I can play with the tie rods to straighten it, but would I have a good
chance of screwing up the alignment, or is it easy to keep things in spec?

Rob Schultz

2000 QC, 4.7l, 5 spd, Hotchkis, Hurst short shift kit.