Re: 5.7L HEMI EGR valve?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed May 19 2010 - 20:23:00 EDT

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:

> On 19-May, 2010, at 07:34 , Brian wrote:

>> Dodge still uses speed density in all of it's vehicles.

> Hmm, I have no idea how the computer would know what the EGR actual
> vs requested is in a speed density system...

> They'd almost have to have a direct measurement of actuation then
> unless there's something that isn't occurring to me.

    It might not even be that sophisticated. IIRC, on the pre-1996
Daks, the computer was happy as long as the EGR valve was plugged in -
it didn't seem to monitor its actual performance. Some folks who
installed the Mopar Performance single plane MPI intake manifold
(without EGR provisions) just left the EGR valve hanging on the
firewall, still plugged into the wiring harness. Probably the only
checks are/were for an open or shorted condition in the control
circuit itself. That might be the case here. Unfortunately, I'm
having to do a third-hand diagnostic. My brother had taken the
vehicle to the dealership to scan the codes, but didn't actually give
me the number of each code, just "egr", "bad speed sensor", etc. For
some reason, my generic OBD-II code reader won't work on his Durango,
and apparently the local autozone couldn't pull anything useful
either. :-P

    He had a problem recently where the truck has quit on him, and one
day in our driveway, it refused to crank. I disconnected the battery
to reset the PCM and it cranked right up and seemed to work fine after
that. I was figuring it was something like a crank or cam sensor, but
when he had the scan done, nothing he mentioned rang any bells as far
as something that would cause the engine to quit and/or not crank.
Doesn't seem like the EGR would cause that, and even with a bad rear
wheel speed sensor, I would expect it to go into some sort of
limp-home mode before giving up completely. Who knows, maybe a
problem with the PCM itself.

--
                                          -Jon-