Re: Wheel issues

From: TerribleTom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 20 2010 - 20:19:56 EDT

Josh Battles wrote:
> The line should be ok, just take a look and if the rubber is pliant you're
> good.
>
> - Josh
>
> On May 20, 2010 6:05 PM, "Chris" <chris_blm@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> I'm now fairly certain that it is the caliper. The brake rotor did look
> like it was hurt pretty bad (imaging flamethrower on metal). Question
> is, should I replace the soft line to that side and/or the wheel bearing
> due to the heat?

I disagree. Replace the rubber line. The seized caliper could have been
caused by a faulty hose. Its more common than people might think, to
have a bad hose that restricts fluid on the rebound (letting off the
brakes) and causing the caliper to drag and eventually seize.

You're going to have to take the hose off the caliper to change the
caliper, its only one more connection to replace the hose.

Annnnd - some might not agree with what I'm going to say next... because
it means spending more money... and goes against the "if it ain't broke
don't fix it" mentality... but to prevent issues with pulling to one
side or another, its usually recommended to change both sides when doing
brakes. Personally, if I have a failure such as a sized caliper...
I'm doing the whole smash.. pads, rotors, calipers, hoses, both sides.
I kinda like to stop when I step on the brakes - and I don't want to
worry about stuff that might fail.

--
TerribleTom