Re: Brake stuck

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Sat May 22 2010 - 11:22:33 EDT

On Saturday 22 May 2010 02:45:54 Scott Lane wrote:
> Several of us have had this problem...its your brake booster.

I thought the usual symptom of the booster failing was the passenger side
caliper sticking? His original message said:

>> Now the front driver's
>> wheel is extremely hot after 10 minutes of driving. The wheel is almost
>> too hot to touch, and there was a bit of smoke and a smell of brake
>> material buring.

I'm thinking it's just a caliper failure. If it is, replacing it isn't all
that hard, but I'd agree with Tom on this. Replace the pads (both sides) and
rotors (both sides) while you're in there. I'd probably replace the soft line
as well, since you'll already have it apart and there's a chance that the heat
damaged it.

Once the caliper is pulled, it should be obvious if the piston is stuck and
won't retract. If not, then it could be the booster, so I'd be prepared to
replace that, too. Depending on available transportation, time, and distance
to the parts store, I'd be tempted to buy the booster, two calipers, two
rotors, two soft lines, and two sets of pads. Then, replace whatever is
needed, and return the remaining un-used parts along with the dead caliper for
the core charge when done.

Oh, and you'll be bleeding the brakes, so get a couple of bottles of new brake
fluid while you're there. Bleed all four corners to get fresh fluid all the
way through the system.

Like Tom said, I like to _stop_ when I step on the brakes.