Trans woes

From: Azie L. Magnusson (maggie11@mchsi.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2010 - 10:16:24 EDT

TT writes:: >> I have had nothing but problems with all of
the automatics in the Dodge trucks I have owned. 1989 2wd
Dakota, A-500, crapped out at 89K miles... rebuilt... 1989
Dodge Dakota 4x4 A-500, had to have it rebuilt when I
bought it, bands, no hard parts... Granted later on it was my
own doing that killed the trans again in 2003... I'm not faulting
the transmission for my error that time. <<

I agree that the A500 isn't strong enough. I, too, have an 89
std cab lwb that I've had many problems with the A500. I
consider the pre magnum 3.9 a very weak engine & if it can
cause the tranny to fail, then the tranny isn't tough enough.
Had a little bearing to go bad in the OD & caused it to
disentergrate on one occasion. Metal particles everyhere..
I've completely rebuilt it 3 times and opened it up from the
bottom on several other occasions to do minor adjustments to
the band. It now has over 300K on it and will not go into
overdrive unless I let off the accelerator for about 3 - 4
seconds. I also replaced the little 7.25 rear end that came
in it. It was just under engineered from the get-go.. On the
other hand I have a '79 Aspen R/T that I bought new and
the little 904LA has been an OK trans. Go figure???

>> The 46RE electronic controlled trans in the Ram has never
ever worked right. Shifts funky, kicked in and out of lock up
whenever it felt like it, even with cruise set cruising on the
highway. I've replaced the solenoid packs three times. Once I
did it and changed them all... a 2nd time another one failed, had
a shop do it... another one failed, shop replaced it again... and
now yet again the same code comes up... and its shifting like
crap again. P1740. I really dont know what to do anymore.
I'm considering a manual trans conversion if I end up keeping
the Ram. I really could use a new truck, or at least a newer
truck... but I'm reluctant to sell or trade right now. <<

Can't offer suggestions on this one.. Not at all familiar with it, but
if my sources are correct, it is the same as the previous RH as far
as gearing/clutches/bands go. Just shifts electronically rather than
hydraulically.. Maybe faulty connections or computer malfunction..
My '95 Ext cab Dakota that came with 318 & A518 (RH) & also
 has over 300K on it and The tranny has held up great. I did a
rebuild on it last winter because of the age and mileage. I had it
out while I was installing a 360 to replace the 318 & thought that
I might as well refresh it while it was out. (Labor saver).

>> Anyone ever hear of a 360 magnum with a stick behind it? what
would that be? NV3500? 4500? <<

No I haven't, but I would not install the 3500 in any V8. I'd
rather be safe than sorry.. Just MHO..

Sharia Law encourages the side of humanity
that wants to take from and subjugate others.

Azie