Re: Cracking Door Panels

From: TerribleTom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 23:57:06 EDT

> Anyone know what kind of plastic the door panels are made out of on the
> 1st/2nd gen trucks? I have the infamous cracking problem at the top of
> the door panel by the door lock knob.
>
> I'm planning on taking the panels off and putting some sound deadening
> film over it, and I'm thinking about picking up a plastic welder to try
> to fix the panel. I want to be sure I get a kit that can weld that type
> of plastic.
>
> Thanks,
>
> M.B.

Wish I could offer some info there - both of my Gen I's have that
problem and I never bothered to try and fix it... since there were
usually bigger problems to fix heh. I doubt any kind of plastic weld or
even epoxy would be hold up long term, given the stress the panels are
subjected to.

I seem to recall seeing a while ago - some company somewhere that sold
after market door panels. But seeing as our trucks are getting older and
fewer - they might not be available anymore.

--TerribleTom