Snow

Date: Tue Nov 23 2010 - 23:42:10 EST

Well, we here in Spokane WA are having some early-Winter fun around
here. Not a lot of snow, about 6" or so, but it's been accompanied with
low temperatures (It's currently 6F with a low tonight of -4F
predicted.) As the de-icer the city uses freezes at 14F, the solution
has been to not bother doing much of anything at all to the roads. As
this is the first real snow of the year, and as we had a super mild
winter last year, most everyone is skidding around on mostly bald
all-season tires. Joy.

Oh, and a while ago I asked if my 4 wheel ABS on my '95 Dakota would
work while in 4-HI, no one knew for sure, and I can say definitively it
DOES work and it's very nice to have when a stop light turns yellow on
you when the city hasn't bothered lengthening the yellow lights to
compensate for winter conditions. :)

Also, despite the road noise, I'm so glad I bought my Dakota. I bought
it after we had 2' of snow in 2 days in the winter of '08-09, and bought
some Hankook MT RT03 mud tires and an Ideal hot-knife and hand siped the
center tread lugs. It sure was a pain, and the wife was mad that I made
the kitchen smell like someone was doing a smokey burnout in it, but so
far they seem to be doing quite well. The deeper the snow gets the more
traction I seem to get! 250lbs of sand bags in the bed helps too. I
really need to lengthen the 4x4 shifter so I can kick it in and out of
4x4 easier though.

M.B.