Re: My 4x4 problems.

From: Andrew Kelsey (ajkelsey@grandroyal.org)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2011 - 09:58:01 EST

On 1/7/2011 09:18, Don wrote:

> Andrew,
> Not sure where your'e located or your mechanical confidence, but it seems
> you could probably find a junkyard front diff assembly and swap it in
> yourself for waaaay less than $2500. All you should need for tools is a
> floor jack, a pair of good jackstands, and a set of wrenches.
>
> What year is your truck? Around here recent model Dak "front carrier
> assemblies" go for $200-350 at the junkyards.
>
> PS.... just thinking about this after the fact... do recent Daks have front
> axle disconnects? With the older vacuum disconnect I'm familiar with, If it
> only locks up while in 4wd, then the disconnect is probably jamming. On my
> 89 Dak, the disconnect fork is permenantly jammed in the "engage"
> position. Problem solved :) YMMV
>
> Don in CT

I consider myself mechanically inclined. I don't have much experience
with auto mechanics so I lack confidence in doing it. If it is as easy
as undoing bolts, I would be comfortable doing it with a "wing man" who
knows a little more than I do. Maybe when the weather gets warmer I will
give it a shot. How much do I have to lose? It's already busted. :P In
the meantime, I'm getting new tires. My current ones are shot and are no
where near good enough for the winter without 4x4.

I assume most of the cost on this work is labor. They are charging $95
an hour for labor and they go with book rates for everything.

I don't know if there is a front axle disconnect. It's a 2003 manual
transmission.

--
-Andrew Kelsey
  E-mail: ajkelsey@grandroyal.org