Re: My 4x4 problems.

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2011 - 17:42:15 EST

On 7-Jan, 2011, at 12:03 , Andrew Kelsey wrote:

> What kind of thing would I be looking for inside the used diff?

gears should be shiny on the wear surfaces with no pitting. both the ring gear and the spider and side gears inside the carrier. you won't be able to see much of the pinion with the carrier installed but look at it too.

I'd be shocked to see any, but any chipped teeth would be bad too. check backlash just for fun. With the pinion held still you should be able to move the carrier just a teeny tiny bit. about .006-.012" at the tips of the teeth. Just enough to feel a click essentially.

that's really about it. And if it's dry on the outside obviously all three seals are good.

Don - the 6 bolts I was counting don't include the axle shafts (6 or 8 each I think) or driveshaft (4 bolts for 2 straps).

I don't think any 3rd gen Dakota has CAD (the vacuum actuated Central Axle Disconnect Don mentioned).

Mike
P-pumped 24v tows like a beast & leaks fuel like a sieve. Couple minor details to attend to....

Monster Jam was a great show here in Rochester and next year I /might/ get a call to be a paid tech. 5 years of club help may pay off - and after 5 years I still enjoy it. Would be a sweet part time gig I think.

Dak rear driveshaft making noise and vibes, probably time for a new CV. damn.