Re: Re: Mobil One oil

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Feb 25 2011 - 13:40:07 EST

Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@comcast.net> wrote:

> Well the 5w50 is the factory fill for the GT500, so I suspect its
> good oil. The 5w part doesent mean it's actually thinner oil so
> much as that it has a lower flow point ( maybe the wrong term) so
> when it is -20 outside, your oil pump doesn't have to work as hard
> to get the lube moving. And the 50 part means you should be good
> when its warm,too.

Yep, the reason folks warn about a thinner oil is because as it warms
up it gets even thinner and can't provide adequate protection.
However, it is great for cold engine starts because it can provide
quicker engine protection, as opposed to a thick sludge that is hard
to move around and reluctant to go between bearing surfaces. The
beauty of the multi-viscosity oils is that it acts like a cold 5
weight oil when cold, but at temperature, it acts like a hot 50 weight
oil. When using a straight weight oil, you have to compromise between
cold start and hot engine performance, but the multi-viscosity oils
give you the option to basically target what you want your oil to act
like at each extreme.

--
                                          -Jon-