Re: While we're talking about automatic transmissions...

Date: Sun Feb 27 2011 - 18:53:43 EST

Heck if I remember the terminology, it was 98 degrees out at the time
and I was more worried about not burning myself by touching any metal
surface nearby and not collapsing from heat exhaustion. That black
anti-rust coating they put on the frame is really good at getting up to
skin-scalding temps in direct sunlight.

I just remember we had to tighten the pinion nut to a certain torque
that was over 250ft/lbs and had to "guess" past that point because we
maxed out the torque wrench before the pinion nut was snug enough to not
have a ton of play.

He's driven it a few thousand miles and towed a loaded trailer that was
so over the GCVW limit of the truck (the thing was made from parts off a
mobile home, including the axles and tires) that he had to downshift to
second to go up mild hills and it's still quiet and in one piece, so I
guess we got lucky. :)

M.B.