Distributor Installation

From: Jamie C (jamie12ga@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 08 2011 - 09:05:18 EDT

OK, I went through the steps to install the distributor, engine at TDC on
compression stroke, rotate distributor until it line up with alignment mark
on CPS. To be sure I'm not 180 degrees off, the #1 cyl position on the cap
is on the passenger side and the CPS wires go out the back towards the
firewall, correct?
What has me second guessing is the illustration in the '96 FSM 8d-25
Ignition System for the 5.2 (probably the same in other 5.2 FSM's). Viewing
from the front of the engine, the orientation of the distributor in the
illustration has the #1 spark plug cable position at around the 8 o'clock
position but the actual position seems to be the 9 o'clock position. Is
this illustration off or am I off? If I was off, I think i'd be 180 off, not
just a few degrees.

Thanks for any help.
James