Re: Now I got punk'd at the lube shop

Date: Thu Aug 04 2011 - 23:07:44 EDT

There was a recall on this era of Dakota/Durango for upper tie rods
failing prematurely. My friend's 2000 Dakota had them replaced but the
replacement was sealed as well.

Good aftermarket ones (Moog) have zerk fittings to allow you to grease them.

In comparison my '95 Dakota as 4 zerks on the ball joints, one for the
pitman arm, two for the idler arm, 4 on the tierod ends, and one in the
front driveshaft... it's a PITA. Stock most of them were sealed other
than the ball joints, though. The addition of Moog steering components
about tripled the lube job time but I think it's worth it. Just
comparing the stock pitman arm to the Moog shows you the difference in
quality:

http://moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/pitman_moog_vs_stock.jpg

M.B.