Clickety Clack

From: Azie L. Magnusson (maggie11@mchsi.com)
Date: Tue Aug 16 2011 - 19:33:21 EDT

MB writes:: >> I was driving my '95 Dakota 4x4 with 8.25"
factory LSD up my workplace's parking garage today, which
has tight 180 degree corners on the end of the ramps to go to
the next level. I had the window rolled down and I'm hearing
a "clack" like a rock being dropped on concrete with a barely
audible "squeak" when I have the wheel cranked most of the
way left or right. It sounds like it's making the noise every
rotation of the tires.

It was hard to localize the noise, but it sounded like it was
coming from the rear end. I've never heard this noise before.
Any of you guys have any ideas on how expensive this one
is going to be to fix? <<

If you "FIX" it you will no longer have a limited slip rear end..
@ least that is my perspective. It is really a locker rear end
rather than a limited slip.. Limited slips have clutches..
MOPARs have metal to metal cones. @least my old '79
Aspen R/T does - so I suspect the 8.25 still has the same
basic set up..
There is a friction modifier on the market that will deaden the
sound somewhat, but I never used it.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to
restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives
and interests"
Patrick Henry

Azie