Re: Ball joints

From: Josh Battles (cletusjones@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2012 - 12:26:29 EDT

On Mar 19, 2012 10:58 AM, "Ted Wiegandt" <twiegandt@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think my balljoints are toast at 150k miles. Uppers were replaced
> under warranty at 25k. What is the consensus on which replacement
> ones to get? There are Moogs with no zerks, but then there are others
> with grease zerks. Any tips on the replacement process? Might do the
> steering linkage while I am at it. This is on a 2002 4WD Quadcab.
> Thanks,
> Ted

I did mine a few times, you just need to drill out the rivets (cutting
fluid is your friend) and bolt the new ones in. I would budget an hour per
joint to drill them. If you have to replace bolted in ones its maybe 10
mins per joint.

I used a set of sealed Dana joints that failed in short order. The car
quest branded greasable moog joints I used lasted 20k before I sold it,
they were still tight.

You may want to get a couple extra bolts / nuts just in case, I broke one
once and had to walk to the hardware store.

Josh