rattle on long deceleration

From: Mike Burgess (mike_burgess@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2012 - 10:14:41 EDT

While pulling a pretty heavy trailer, and using engine brakeing (overdrive selector OFF) on a 10 mile downhill grade (Grapevine, in southern california) I started getting a "rattle" or odd buzz (almost like a bearing spinning out !) from either engine or trans. It cleared right up, when I give it a tiny bit of throttle, and returned right afterward, but it ain't normal. Ideas, theory's ? did not return after flatland driving and using engine brakeing.

5.2L , autotrans w/OD 1998 Dakota, 210K miles