Re: 2002 dak: any issues to look for?

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2012 - 11:37:36 EDT

On Friday, October 26, 2012 09:14:54 PM you wrote:
> A friend of mine is looking at a Dakota for his son. Any issues to
> look for or comments about this version?

Sounds pretty close to what I have ('01, extended cab). Biggest thing to look
for would be the ball joints. They were recalled and should have been replaced
under warranty (mine were), but may have worn out again (mine were). I've
replaced them with greasable (Moog) joints.

The only unusual failures on mine have been computers. Both the dashboard
computer and the 4wd computer failed. I replaced them with junkyard pulls from
a Durango (4wd) and Dakota (dashboard) which have been working fine.

Mine had a wierd front driveshaft with a non-repairable CV joint in it. The CV
joint failed. I bought a replacement driveshaft using normal U joints. I don't
know if this '02 will have the same CV joint shaft mine did, but check there
for problems, especially if there's any strange noise at driving speeds.

Other than that, it's just the usual things to look for on any used car or
truck.