Re: 2000 4.7l cc 4x4

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2013 - 16:52:32 EST

On 16/02/13 11:17 AM, Phillip Batson wrote:
> Anyone know if it is possible to change the gear ratio in the rear end?

We did it on our 2001 (from 3.55 to 3.92 for improved towing
capability). Don't forget on a 4x4 that you also have to change the
gears in the front axle. I'm not sure how the 2000 is set up, but on the
'01 we didn't have to do anything for the speedometer because the sensor
is on the axle itself.

I didn't really notice any appreciable difference in fuel mileage. Maybe
1-2 MPG, but that probably isn't going to save you enough on gas to
cover the price of the gears and labor to have them installed. I've been
told that differential gears are fairly hard to set up correctly, and
installation is best left to an experienced professional. Meaning, not
the guy on the corner who mostly installs brakes and mufflers.

--
Jason Bleazard  dontspamjason@bleazard.net  Burlington, Ontario
'01 Dakota Sport 4x4, 4.7 V8, Auto, Quad Cab, black