RE: pipe from the manifolds to the exhaust

From: Ken Allgood (
Date: Sat Aug 03 2013 - 01:31:01 EDT

Not really. Might depend on your year. Believe it is also referred to as a
collector (or Y-collector?). There's 3 bolts for the Y-pipe, and you may
need a gorilla to get 'em loose. Just spray with penetrating oil (they
really weren't that hard, just difficult to reach since I don't have a high
jack). I have a 97 318, and there is a gasket where it connects to the rest
of the exhaust. I had to replace that gasket, as the leak was making my
exhaust very loud. Do yourself a favor, and go with a metal gasket, cost
maybe $2 or so from parts store. I've had mine on there for about 10 years.
I wouldn't bother replacing until things have rusted where it sounds like
you have an open exhaust.. then it's time to replace :)

97 318 SLT


Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 19:24:47 -0500
From: ffastje <>
Subject: DML: pipe from the manifolds to the exhaust

I guess this is called the y pipe is this pipe hard to replace? It looks
like the bolts are almost rusted through.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.


End of DML Digest V5 #4743

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Tue Apr 01 2014 - 12:02:46 EDT