Re: RE: pipe from the manifolds to the exhaust/ Update with truck info

From: ffastje (
Date: Sat Aug 03 2013 - 06:32:14 EDT

On 8/3/2013 12:31 AM, Ken Allgood wrote:
> Not really. Might depend on your year. Believe it is also referred to as a
> collector (or Y-collector?). There's 3 bolts for the Y-pipe, and you may
> need a gorilla to get 'em loose. Just spray with penetrating oil (they
> really weren't that hard, just difficult to reach since I don't have a high
> jack). I have a 97 318, and there is a gasket where it connects to the rest
> of the exhaust. I had to replace that gasket, as the leak was making my
> exhaust very loud. Do yourself a favor, and go with a metal gasket, cost
> maybe $2 or so from parts store. I've had mine on there for about 10 years.
> I wouldn't bother replacing until things have rusted where it sounds like
> you have an open exhaust.. then it's time to replace :)
> Ken
> 97 318 SLT
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 19:24:47 -0500
> From: ffastje <>
> Subject: DML: pipe from the manifolds to the exhaust
> I guess this is called the y pipe is this pipe hard to replace? It looks
> like the bolts are almost rusted through.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> ------------------------------
> End of DML Digest V5 #4743
> **************************
Thanks Ken
I Am sorry it is a 1999 3.9 v6 it is the flair pipe with flange and two
bolts per flange. I was wondering if anything needs to be removed to get
the pipe in there or just finagle it in there.
The bolts are about 1/4 there original size and the passenger side is
completely loose out of the manifold.

A link to the part

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Tue Apr 01 2014 - 12:02:46 EDT