Re: NV231 range lever grommet

From: Bill Pitz (bill@pitz.net)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2013 - 20:31:40 EST

On 12/9/2013 11:35 AM, Michael Maskalans wrote:

> I wouldn’t take the linkage off the side of the case (the “Range Lever”), but just replace the grommet there unless there’s some collateral damage to that linkage. I can’t remember if that could potentially fall into the case. I don’t THINK so, and it shouldn’t be easy to fall in even if it can since there’s a seal and the internal bits involved as well. It’s been a while since I’ve had a NV case torn apart.
>
> I was thinking of the whole shifter lever assembly that comes up through the floor when speaking of the 2 bolts into the side of the case.

(Closing the loop in case some day someone is searching the archives for
this problem). Once I had the replacement part in hand, it was clear
that it was going to be a lot easier to just replace the "range lever"
as opposed to trying to pry the grommet out of the new lever and install
it on the old one. So I decided to go for it after looking more closely
at the FSM and feeling decent that the linkage wasn't going to fall off
inside the transfer case when I detached the range lever.

I had to spray the nut that attaches the lever with some PB Blaster to
get it to come off easily (and still got a face full of old caked on
dirt) but other than that, it was pretty easy. It wanted to drop into
4-Hi when I tried to loosen it, but it broke free pretty easily from
there. It came off no problem and the new one went on without issue.
The full range of transfer case selections works fine.

For future reference, if you have an issue with the grommet that
attaches the shift linkage to the range lever on the actual transfer
case (not the grommet that attaches the upper lever [coming down from
the shifter in the cab] to the trunnion/lower shift linkage), the part
you want is 05015836AA which is the replacement range lever with the
grommet already installed. This is in contract to P/N 05017960AA which
is the aforementioned grommet that attaches the lever from the shifter
to the lower part of the linkage.

-Bill