Accessory questions

From: Rader = Darn Jar All Dry Error (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 1995 - 11:16:22 EST

MUDGUARDS:

  Well, after seeing what the mud and rocks do to my Dakota's nice shiny
new paint, I'm in the market for a decent set of mud guards. Called my
dealer to see what they have, and he told me not to bother. The Dodge
OEM mud guards cost $20/guard! When your friendly salesdude tells you
to look elsewhere, he must not be kidding.

  I see two basic types of mudguard in the stores and catalogs: molded
plastic (usually designed for a custom fit), and basic rubber sheeting.
My SLT already has the plastic fender guards, though, so I'm wondering
whether these would interfere with molded plastic mudguards.

TONNEAU COVERS:

  Since we got the club cab option, I am not too keen on putting a cap on
our Dakota's bed. I always had to remove the cap off of my S-10 in
order to haul large stuff. However, it's nice to be able to throw crap
in the bed and lock it up away from the wind and rain. Therefore, I've
been looking at tonneau covers.

  I'm leaning in the direction of the one-piece hard fiberglass covers,
mainly because they're a bit more secure than the soft covers, but also
because they should be easy to remove. (With a soft cover, you've still
gotta remove the frame if you want to haul something big.)

  The Whitney catalog has got one for roughly $500, but it doesn't look
all that easy to remove (installation requires drilling). Do any of you
have experience with these covers? Any tonneau covers?

  Thanks in advance,

  Ron "Topless" Rader