RE: How to get motorcycles on the truck?

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Fri Dec 08 1995 - 07:46:26 EST

From: stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET on Fri, Dec 8, 1995 1:58 AM

>I admit I have yet to carry a bike in the Dakota, but in the past,
>whenever I have to get a bike into a pickup, I'll try to find a hill, an
>embankment, etc. and back the truck up to it so it the bike can be
>ridden straight across, or *down* into the bed. I've never tried to load
>a bike into the back of a truck on level ground. I've done it for
>3 wheel ATVs, but they've got quite a bit more balance than a motorcycle.
>
>I'd be interested to see how others get their bikes into the back...
>When an embankment is not available at either the loading or unloading
>sites, I use a tilt-bed trailer.

Back in my Dirt Bike Racing days I carried my bikes around in the back of my
D100 short bed truck. I used a 2x10 plank which I attached a piece of sheet
metal to so the top of the plank was even with the tailgate edge. I never cared
much about whether the ground was level. Just fired them and road up the ramp
into the truck.

Word of Caution: I was distracted one day and went up the ramp a little too fast
and launched my self off the end of the ramp and cam down on the roof of the
cab. Very embarrassing not to mention the damage to the sheet metal on the roof.

Dave Clement