Re: Introduction and ? About Supercharging 318's

From: Mel Lester Jr. (meljr@connet80.rain.com)
Date: Sun Dec 24 1995 - 09:06:08 EST

On 24 Dec 1995 Thomas_Dean-R16937@email.sps.mot.com wrote:

> Hi! Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!
>
> I'm Tom Dean and have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 318 AT. I know, this is a
> Dakota mailing list, but the Mopar Mailing List doesn't have enough support for
> trucks. I was hoping that somebody on this list would be able to help me, since
> the V8 Dakota's and Ram's share the same powertrain.

I drag race a '95 Ram Club Cab w/5.9 magnum and '89 Shelby Dakota w/360
transplant.

> Basically, I'm trying to turn my truck into a sport truck. <snip>
> <snip> Right now I'm concentrating on increasing the performance of the 318.

> The first thing I'm planning to buy is the performance
> computer offered through the dealer. I was hoping that this new performance
> computer will eliminate the speed governor! Does anybody know for sure?

No, actually, I've never had my RAM over 90MPH as I only reach about
85MPH in the 1/4 mile and then shut it down. I have raced both the stock
computer and now the performance one, but have never gone for a top speed run.
I wasn't aware, however, of any electronic speed limitation on these
trucks. Are you sure your truck has enough fuel pressure to feed a top
end charge?

The performance computer gives your RAM the most bang for the buck
and believe me, I have installed EVERYTHING mopar performance has for the
magnums except the M1 conversion from fuel injection to a 4BBL carb.

>next big step is supercharging. Does anybody have the Vortech supercharger?

No, but when I looked into them, they were incompatible with the MP
performance computer. Better check directly with Vortech.