re: auto trans fluid changes

From: Tim Bontrager (TBontrager@dpra.com)
Date: Sun Dec 31 1995 - 20:19:20 EST

On Sunday, December 31, 1995 at 9:04:38 am CST,
Frank Ball <frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com> wrote:
>& The truck now has 60,000 miles on it and runs great. Here's a list of
>& modifications I've made:
>&
>& Three inch cat-back exhaust from Turbo City in Orange, Calif.
>
>How loud is this?
It's definitely louder than stock. To me it sounds more like a truck. If
you open the rear window you really get an earfull. If you're cruising with
the windows up and the ac on, it's just a mild hum. The power gain is great
though. I recommend it if you're after more power.

>& 255/70R15 street radials on stock aluminum rims
>
>A bit wide for 6" wide rims aren't they? Don't you get a lot of
>sidewall flex making the steering mushy?
They look nice and fat on the 6" rim. I keet them aired up to 35 psi on the
street and don't notice any mushiness. Of course, compared to the vette,
it's always mushy.

>& I want to thank Chris Siano for his recommendation regarding ignition
>& systems. I ordered a top of the
>& line computerized ignition from Jacobs Electronics. I'll be installing it
>& soon along with copper plugs. If it
>& works as advertised, it should be a kick. Cost so far is about $500.
>
>No doubt this would be a tremendous improvement for an older vehicle,
>I'm not so sure about a new truck with a modern ignition system.
>Please tell us how this works out.
I believe that the ignition system is the same in my '92 as the new trucks.
According to the marketing b.s., the 318 uses 70-some percent of the air-fuel
mixture during combustion. The rest contaiminates the oil or comes out the
exhaust pipe as emissions. The new ignition is said to ignite about 98%.
I'll post an update to the list when I have experience.

>& My Dodge dealer told me that changing the transmission fluid in my
>automatic
>& is almost useless because
>& so little of it will actually drain out. What's the real story. It makes
>me
>& nervous to just leave it in there.
>& What should I do? If I change the fluid, what should I put back in?
>
>My Dakota has a 5-speed, but I have worked on a few automatics. If the
>torque converter does not have a drain plug then you will only be able
>to change 2 or 3 quarts out of 8 or 10. The converter holds several
>quarts. Better than nothing.
>
>As to what fluid, if Dodge doesn't specify something unique (which they
>do for many of their cars), then I'd try to find Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

What would be the result of mixing 2-3 quarts of Mobil 1 with the standard
issue? Is there a filter in there that needs changing?

Thanks for the reply.

Tim Bontrager
e-mail: TBontrager@dpra.com
voice : (913) 539-3565 fax : (913) 539-5353
mail : P.O. Box 727, Manhattan, KS 66505
ship : 200 Research Dr., Manhattan, KS 66503
Home of the KSU Wildcats, 1995 Holiday Bowl Champs, 1993 Copper Bowl Champs
'92 Corvette LT1, '92 Dakota 4x4 Magnum 318