New list-lurker, potential Dakota buyer...

From: george (ttempel@monmouth.com)
Date: Wed Jan 31 1996 - 19:31:05 EST

Hi all, and thanks for providing some wonderful information.

I know there probably should be a FAQ on this stuff, and I've already
grabbed up some goodies on the net regarding Dakotas, but since you are all
owners, what better forum, right?

Anyway, the other day someone was asking 'bout getting a truck for his
wife. Well, my wife and I are going to get a truck this summer/fall, and I
have just about decided for-sure on the Dakota; more for your money than a
Ranger (which is more expensive than an F-150 anyhow!).

My main questions are price and reliability. And price.

I'm looking at some flavor of a '96 Dakota Sport with automatic (Tina can't
handle a stick...well, she could in an emergency...). I will also pop some
kind of bedliner into it (my first truck's gotta last me), and some tonneau
cover to help keep the bed from becoming a snow-bank or fishbowl (and
improve mileage).

I'm looking for 2WD vs 4WD vs ClubCab (my preference), and combinations
thereof, along with what would be decent prices, or if you don't mind what
_you_ paid for your recent Dakotas.

I have noticed that the MSRP (Manuf. Suggested Rip-Off Price) is usually
WAY outta line with what dealers are advertising in the papers here in
central jersey. Saw one good one thus far: 1996 Dakota 5Spd, V6, sliding
rear window (big deal...), 4WD, for 11,799. New, not a program or demo
vehicle.

So, how's the reliability? How's the price?

Thanks in advance!

george (ty) tempel
freehold, nj
ttempel@monmouth.com

CAT: One hell of a nice animal, frequently mistaken for a meatloaf.
- B. Kliban

Piggly, wiggly, bird bath, pie.
Cat hips, fish lips, poke you in the eye!
--B. Kliban