Re: MP Computer for 5.2L

From: Pan_Chan.IACNET@ngate.zis.ziff.com
Date: Tue Feb 13 1996 - 14:13:37 EST

>on the Mopar bug/wind deflector, and I can hear a little extra wind noise
>then when it wasn't on... I also notice my hood shakes just a little at
>anything over 60 mph, I'm wondering if I should adjust the hood so it lies
>more flush with the grill, etc. so as to not let the wind into the engine
>bay. Any ideas or comments??

I installed a Mopar bug deflector/hood protector just before winter, and I also
noticed increased wind noise. Not a lot, but a maybe a little more than
little. Don't notice it much anymore now that I'm used to it.

I wasn't able to close my hood w/the deflector on, though, until it got raised
it a bit, which I was unhappy about. I was expecting there to be enough
clearance by default. Now the hood sits just a wee tad higher than the fender,
and I still have to literally drop the hood from a moderate height to close
it. I don't want to raise the hood any higher. I think the problem stems
from sloppy manufacturing: one side of the grille sits higher than the other
side, and the lip on the hood edge (on the same side!) juts out more than it
should.

I have another problem which might also stem from the deflector, but I'm not
sure yet. A couple weeks after I bought my new white '95 4x4 Club Cab Dakota,
I washed it, and noticed for the first time, a small "gouge" on the
passenger-side door, as if a door edge from another vehicle had given it a good
hit. It was already painted over, so it was obviously a pre-existing
condition, not one that had happened after I bought it. The dealer didn't
argue w/it, and agreed to take it to the body shop and fix it for free, which
they did.

However, the night I picked up the truck, I also showed them how the deflector
wouldn't allow the hood to close, and that's when they raised the hood. As I
drove away, I noticed how both side view mirrors now "quivered" - not the arm
nor the chrome mirror housing, but just the actual mirror itself, especially
the driver side. It is very annoying. It's worst at highway speeds when it
quivers so much that everything's blurry. Either the body shop messed up the
mirrors by hand-forcing them and not using the mirror-motor, or the deflector I
put on for the first time creates some kind of weird turbulence that somehow
disturbs the mirrors.

I haven't had a chance yet since then to drive w/o the deflector, but that
would prove whether or not they're causing the quivering. My guess, though, is
that it's NOT the deflector - I can't imagine the turbulence working it's way
all the way over to the mirror housing, around and back into the mirror itself.

I brought it back to the dealer once while I was there for an oil change, but
since we were still in the middle of a snowstorm, they said to bring it back
when the roads were clean and smooth so they could test drive it.

Anyone else ever have problems w/their motorized mirrors?