RE: Low fuel lights

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Mon Feb 26 1996 - 16:03:32 EST

From: msolomon@mail07.mitre.org@INTERNET on Mon, Feb 26, 1996 3:40 PM

>On a related subject, I have the overhead console with outside temperature.
>There is a button to switch between computer and temperature which only turns
>off the temperature. I assume the console is from another Dodge vehicle, and
>they didn't bother to include the required sensors to make it operative in the
>Dakota. Anyone know if there is a way to activate the trip computer by
>suppling power and sensor input? I am assuming that the computer is in there,
>but not powered.

Moise,
I would not count on the trip computer being in there but if it is and you are
ambitious it is likely that it can be wired in from existing signals in the
engine control system.

I do not know if the trip computer on the trucks is the same as the 85-89
Daytonas but I was able to trace out the signals from the FSM to wire in the
trip computer on my 85 Daytona (the 89 had the wiring harness and connector in
the dash).

Providing the units work the same you will need signals for; ground, battery,
switched battery, lights, fuel gauge sender, distance sensor and fuel injector
(provides signal to computer for fuel mileage calculation).

The FSM for my Daytona's had a good description of the signal inputs to the
computer which could be traced thru the wiring diagrams to find convient places
to tap into.

Good Luck,
Dave Clement