RE: Rust

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Tue Mar 05 1996 - 12:23:36 EST

ET
From: ljacobs@calvin.uchsc.edu@INTERNET on Tue, Mar 5, 1996 11:56 AM

>> I can't confirm that this is the case with CC but depending on the alloying
>> of
>> the metal used the lite coating of rust can act as a conversion coating and
>> prevent any further corrosion. When this is done by design the protection of
>> the
>> base metal is far superior to any paint that could be applied (and it's self
>> repairing if it is scratched or damaged). Short of using high nickel content
>> alloys (ie; stainless steel) or plating (which can be worse if not done
>> correctly) which would add thousands of dollars of cost to your truck this is
>> the best long term solution to under carriage corrosion protection.
>>
>This sounds an awfull lot like 'blueing' on a gun. Rifles and pistols
>that are steel using blueing, which is actually a form of rust.
>Hey, I wonder.... would bluing work for the underside of the truck ??
>Anyhow, I (and most others) will associate the orange buildup with
>cancerous rust, oxidation, what have you.

You are getting the the idea with blueing but the only problem trying that on
your truck is you will need to get the parts up into the vicinity of 150F and
the solution (don't remember the chemical make up) is an acid that if not
completely removed will be much worse than any rust you may have.

Dave Clement