Re: Warranties (was:I dood it ! (96 Dakota))

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 06 1996 - 11:16:34 EST

>>Too bad you didn't get it as part of the deal, because these warranties are
>>VERY negotiable. I found out after I paid around $900 for a 7/75 - bumper to
>>bumper third party program. Don't know how well you will be able to deal
>>with them after the sale, but I feel that they are definitely worth it!

   When I bought my truck, I got the 7yr/100,000mi extended warrantee for
dealer cost. I forget how much it was now ($800 something?)

>I have a several comments to make about extended warranties;
>
>. I have never read an article that made a favorable comment on the cost to
>benifits derived on extended warranties. If you can negoitiate it as a freeby
>when you purchase the vehicle great. These things are the Rusty Jones packages
>of the 90's.

    I wouldn't own a Dakota right now if I had an extended warrantee on
my last car. I sold it and ended up buying a Dakota because it was going
out of warrantee. The previous owner had $10,000 worth of warrantee work
done on the active aerodynamics system, the tranny goes for $5,000 a pop
(not fixable... you have to order a brand new one from Getrag), the
list goes on... It was an awesome car, and it never gave me much trouble,
but the *chance* that it would and leave me with astronomical repair bills
was too much for this starving college student to risk. Granted, the Dakota
being a domestic and all, it will probably have less significant repair
costs, but for less than a twentieth of the purchase price, I felt the
piece of mind was worth it... For the price of the warrantee, I wouldn't
even have been able to shod my old car with new rubber! :P

                                              -Jon-

 | Jon Steiger == DoD# 1038 == USUA# A46209 == NMA# 117376 == KotWitDoDFAQ |
 | stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu && http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ |
 | '96 Dakota SLT V-8, '91 FZR600R /* Just another mangy hacker */ |