Retrospect - my 96 Dakota

From: L. Jacobs (ljacobs@calvin.uchsc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 12 1996 - 10:02:07 EST

A few people have asked my input as to how I like the manual trans., so
am posting here for benefit of all (as if my opinion is worth anything
<grin>).

I like the manual transmission, but wouldn't want it as a daily/around
town driver (I'm getting old and lazy).
I bought this truck because it's _cool_!!! The overhead console isn't
wise, but I like it. The buckets aren't wise, but I like it ! The
standard transmission probably not the best choice, but _I LIKE IT_ !

I could go on about how I prefer an automatic for serious 4-wheeling
(call it co-ordination problems in tight spots, if you will, but I
hate having to heel-toe a clutch on steep/dangerous slopes), nevertheless,
I'm not too anxious to get out there and scratch up my flame-red paint.
I like the control an automatic gives when pulling heavy loads, otherwise
I'll be happy with my stick. (no sexual inuendos, please) ;^)

With the advent of the 97 body style, I am almost sure to sell my 96
and purchase a 98 (probably an automatic, fully loaded). Therefore, have
decided *not* to purchase the 7/70 extended bumper-to-bumper.

I've just hit 250 miles on the odometer, and I love my truck !
Only worry: when I'm not to smooth on a shift, the transaxle gives
a rather embarassing clunk. I think someone else mentioned this ?

Lee "Where the heck is third" Jacobs LJacobs@Calvin.UCHSC.Edu