Re: who's who list

From: Mel Lester Jr. (meljr@connet80.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 1996 - 14:22:24 EST

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Jon N. Steiger wrote:

> >Maybe our beloved web site keeper could think about a 'who's-who'
> >register?
>
> Flattery will get you nowhere. ;-)
>
> >Much like the Porschephiles, users could look at a list of Dakotas
> >(year, main options) and see the owners e-mail address.
> >For less administration, it would be nice to have a self-registration/
> >modification/deletion feature. Web browsers could look at it as a
> >text file.
> >
> >Any thoughts ? Would this provide any value at all ?
> >

> Hmmm... I hadn't thought about doing anything like this. I like
> the idea. I believe the Diamond Star mailing list has a web page with
> something similar... Subscribers' cars, the modifications they've
> made, what kind of perfomance gains they got, etc. It was quite
> interesting. If everyone else thinks this would be a nice resource
> and would be willing to submit some detailed info about their
> trucks, I'd be happy to start such a register.
>

> -Jon-

Jon,
   I've had some similar thoughts lately as I have been thinking about using
perl to create some cgi-bin scripts that act as an interface to a SQL
data base. A registry application wouldn't even require a data engine,
just ASCII flat files and Unix filters.

My experience with traditional registries has been sour. Most are started
with the best of intentions, but access to the information and maintenance
is usually suspect, except in the case of well organized and funded clubs
(Shelby and Porche). A couple of years ago I registered my Li'l Red
Express and Warlock trucks with various registries by mail and never
received so much as an acknowledgement, much less any abstracted
information from the database. All contact with the Chrysler TC by
Maserati registry (I bracket raced one of these a few years ago) ceased
when I opted not to pay a 50 or so dollar a year membership fee.

This is an application that would be ideal for the web. I am tempted to
start one for LRT/Warlocks and Chrysler TC's just for the fun of it.