RE:Campers

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Tue Mar 12 1996 - 14:49:12 EST

>I have a 1994 Dakota 4WD Supercab. I want to put a camper on it, but was
told
>it may not be big enough. Wanted to know if your subscribers have put
campers on
>their Dakota's & how it worked out.

Never bought one, but I did do some research around this time last year.
There were two that would work, Palomino has a Dakota option to fit two of
their pop-ups on a Dakota, and there was another company that had a
mini-camper designed for short bed half tons, but looked rather oversize
for the Dakota. Can't remember the name of the second company.

The big problem is the 44" distance between the wheelwells. This is
shorter than any fullsize, and wider than all the compacts. Most of the
Compact campers are rather spartan, little more than a bed and stove. The
Palomino model 800 had room for a porta-potty and a neat storage rack under
the bed, but wasn't much better. All the slide ins really require the
higher payload options and rear sway bars. Also, the factory mirrors are
too small. The smallest version I found with a real black water holding
tank and bathroom was too heavy for the Dakota, and overhung the bed way
too much. It was a 7.5' model I think.

With an 8' bed, you have a few more options, but the payload issue is a
real concern.

I finally decided that a good cabin tent and portable equipment would work
out better for me and it has. Other options are of course trailers, but
that does impact the truck's ability to go anywhere.

Christopher Siano | "How do you control this thing?"
CSiano@Banyan.com | "Who Cares, Go FASTER!"
    0- | -Suicide