Tire size?

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Wed Mar 13 1996 - 07:07:02 EST

>question is, i want to replace the orig tires which have 37k miles on
>with 31" tires, but is there any clearance problems and will they fit on
>the stock rims?

The answer to both questions is maybe.

31's and the Dakota front wheelwell are a very close fit. The problem lies
with the rear of the wheelwell when you turn the front wheels side to side.
 I personally know of three different attempts to use 31's, and some work
and one didn't. Numbers one and three are my truck, number two belongs to
someone I know.

1) 31x9.50R-15 Super Swamper Radials on stock Rims. These fit great, but
the noise of such an agressive tire is very annoying on the road.

2) 31x10.50R-15 Bridgestone Desert Duelers on aftermarket rims. Rub when
cornering. Not bad, but it has worn the tire and wheelwell noticably.

3) 31x10.50-15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted HP on aftermarket rims. Just
fit without rubbing.

What is the difference between the last two? The Bridgestones are close to
a true 31 at 30.8" while the Mickey T's are only 30.2" tall. That extra
three tenths of an inch (less a slight width difference) make it work. I
have been told that cranking the front end up about a little more than an
inch will allow a true 31 to fit with minimal rubbing, but I am against
that as it promotes accelerated wear on the front shafts and changes the
front wheel geometry slightly.

As for putting a 31 on a stock 6" rim, it can be done, but the sidewall
roll and possible poor wear make me say don't do it. Besides, the factory
rims are not a very good rim. When I tried the Swampers, I had a bugger of
a time keeping air in the tires. I was always topping off the pressure.
In the five months I've had the Mickey T's, I've never had to add air. The
same has been true for my last two 4x4s as well. Factory wheel/tires
needed monthly air checks. Aftermarket needed a few pounds at the
beginning of winter and that's it.

Christopher Siano | "How do you control this thing?"
CSiano@Banyan.com | "Who Cares, Go FASTER!"
    0- | -Suicide