RE: Synthetic Oils

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Fri Mar 15 1996 - 08:09:37 EST

From: mherrick@ptialaska.net@INTERNET on Thu, Mar 14, 1996 8:05 PM

> Service time is here again and I want to change the regular Trans and =
>differential oil out for Synthetic.=20
> I need a little input on which type, brand etc from those of you =
>already using Synthetics. I am also thinking about putting it in the =
>Engine too.
> Any thoughts are helpful!

Mark,
I would go for it. I use synthetics every where that I can get an equivalent on
my turbo Daytona and I will be adding them to the differentials and transfer
case on my Dakota (you can't drain the torque converter without removing the
tranny so I won't do it there and I am not sure it buys you much in a non-turbo
engine). Your 5sp tranny is no problem, if you have a limited slip rear end I am
not sure of because there are typically special additives for the clutch plates.
In the engine I do not think it's worth it unless you plan on extending drain
intervals out to 10k or so. I would not use anything else on by turbo engines
because of the heat generated in the turbo but I do not on my non-turbo engines.

For the engine you may want to look at the new synthetic blends, they are less
than half the cost of 100% synthetics. Quaker State, Penzoil and Valvoline now
have them.

Another area I whole heartly recommend is synthetic chassis & bearing grease. I
have been using Amszoil or Mobil synthetic grease for about 10 years now and I
have never worn out a ball joint, universal or a serviceable wheel bearing.

I do not know what the oil filter recommendation is on your 94 but my 89 v6
calls for the tea cup sized oil filter. I have been using the Fram PH43 filter
which is twice the size and I moved some fuel/brake lines so they were closer to
the chassis and I will be switching to the Fram PH8A which is almost 4 times
larger. This provides a two fold benifit; first it increase oil capacity in the
engine by a quart and second it dramatically increases the total surface area of
the filter element. More oil means each molecule does less work. More filter
area means the bypass is less likely to open allowing unfiltered oil into the
engine.

Dave Clement