RE: Excessive Exhaust Noise.

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Sat Mar 23 1996 - 16:12:50 EST

From: dlinton@tyrell.net@INTERNET on Sat, Mar 23, 1996 1:31 PM
Subject: Excessive Exhaust Noise.

> Hi
> I have a 95 Dakota Sport 4 cyl that is
>uncomfortable to drive above 60 mph. Its due
>to excessive exhaust noise and its been this way
>since I drove it off the showroom floor.
>Any ideas? Has anybody tried a different exhaust
>system? Would eliminating the muffler and
>installing megs help. The noise then would be
>back at the bumper.

Dave,

Eliminating the muffler is only going to increase exhaust noise. It's more
likely that you are working the 4 banger hard to get the truck over 60 and what
your are hearing is intake and/or exhaust resonance thru the sheet metal of the
cab. Changing to a less restrictive muffler or wrapping the pipes with one of
those muffler bandages may move the resonance to another frequency that does not
corrospond to your highway crusing speed.

Dave Clement