R/T package towing

From: BAC0813@ritvax.isc.rit.edu
Date: Thu Apr 04 1996 - 12:39:24 EST

In my previous response to the vacum switch problem, when I said the sleeve for
4wd operation is a solid connection into 4wd and spring loaded out of 4wd I was
refering to the sleeve in transfer case that engages the 4wd. I didn't mention
the axle as I thought the problem encounter was I newer dakotas which have a
live axle, no diconnect. I have fowarded the information of the problem onto
a couple of NVG engineers to see if they have any solutions or no of the TSB.

Does anyone know how to obtain general TSB's, as I see there is quite large
number of them for my 91 dakota?

don't have a definte answer, but I have one possible reason. When the
drivetrain (tranny, propshafts, axles, t-case) is designed, they are designed
around the base torque of the engine. Also figured into drivetrain is the
amount of load and coefficient of friction of the tires. SO drivetrains are
designed to have only the base torque and max GCW with a saftey factor to
account for material differences and customer abuse.
By just increasing the engine torque a stress is applied to the drivetrain
that would be similar to the base torque and a max GCW. Now if the torque is
higher then stock and the vehicle is loaded to GCW, like with trailer towing,
the drivetrain is not really designed for this stress. The stress is worse if
you have larger tires with a higher coefficientof friction.
For this reason chrylser is just cover themselves against warranty returns for
driveline failure. That's just one possible explaintion.
If that is the reason you would PROBABLY be fine towing a trailer as long as
you were really using all that new found torque while the truck is loaded up.

Brent Cring
91 Dakota