3.9 V6 backfiring and rough running

From: elliott@cyberspace.com
Date: Sat Apr 20 1996 - 00:49:58 EDT

I've got a 92, V6, 5 speed, 4x4 Dakota that started
bucking, backfiring, stumbling and missing inter-
mittantly for the last 9 months. The only fault
codes that came up were for the vacuum solenoid
(purge cannister solenoid) and bad thermostat.
Replacing both of those helped some, but the back-
firing would sometimes return after driving 25 to
30 miles or more. Got an Auto XRay and used it on
my Dakota and a friends 92, V6, 5 sp'd 4x4, finding
that the readouts for oxygen sensor, MAP sensor, and
rest were all pretty much the same for both.

Took it into a local (Seattle) dealer for a fuel pressure
test, and a diagnostic scan. They said that the timing
was wandering around and replaced the distributor body,
shaft and bushing. Ran fine for a couple of weeks then
started to run ragged, not really missing but sort of
like a V8 with a wild cam. Checked to see if the rotor was
lined up with the notch in the distributor switch plate, which
it wasn't. Back to the dealer where they reset the distributor
and "retaught" my Dakota's engine controller with a new one.
It seems to run okay, but feels like it's lacking in top end
performance, although I may be expecting too much as I ran it
with an early version of the Mopar Performance Controller for
about 45,000 miles.

Somewhere I heard that 92 3.9's had timing chain problems.
I'm wondering anyone else has experienced similar
driveability problems, or has heard anything about a timing
chain problem with these particular engines.

Also I have installed a Hellwig rear anti-sway bar on my
Dakota and have figured out a way to install it with rear
shocks that are larger in diameter than the stock shocks.
If anyone's interested e-mail me, and I'll post what I did
here or to them.

Love my Dakota, sure hope that the engine problem's solved!

Larry Elliott
         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)