Re: Towing a camper trailer -Reply

From: Ron Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed May 01 1996 - 17:05:53 EDT

>> In my case, I installed the bolt-on receiver myself.

>I assume if that I install a Class III receiver, that I'm going to have to
>remove my spare from under the frame. Is this correct?

  In order to install my receiver, I had to remove the spare. This allowed
room to cram the receiver up there, mark/drill the holes, and tighten the
bolts.

  Once receiver installation was complete, I had plenty of room to put
the spare right back in it's stock location. This was a full size
LT215R15, which is a good deal bigger than the standard passenger car
tire. I don't know if the spare tire on the 4x4 Dakotas is any
bigger. If so, it might get tight. The spare tire retainer does allow
for some movement, though.

  I got mine from J.C. Whitney for roughly $90. It was the Hidden Hitch
model (they've got multiple receivers for the Dakota, at various
prices). They put it on sale from time to time, so it might pay to
wait (I believe standard price is $130). At 5000# capacity/500#
tongue, it was a pretty good deal IMO.

  Ron "Spare Be There" Rader