Re: Engine Computers

From: Jane V Elliott (elliott@cyberspace.com)
Date: Tue May 07 1996 - 23:45:44 EDT

I took the Mopar Performance SBEC off my Dakota when I was having problems
and getting an "internal controller failure" code. The problems were
solved (I hope) by dealer replacement of the distributor body, bushing and
shaft and reteaching(!) the stock SBEC what it was supposed to do. The
reteaching the SBEC thing is what I was told by one of the service guys at
the dealer, beats me.

Anyway, my experience with the Performance SBEC (single board engine
controller) in my 92 3.9 was great, except that premium unleaded is
$0.20/gal more than regular around Seattle. I actually get better mileage
with the performance controller than with the stock one. I've run premium
with the stock controller and got the same performance/mileage as with
regular. Last summer on vacation I averaged 20.6 mpg from Seattle to
Colorado Springs with the performance controller and cruising at 70-75
mph! Averaged 19.6 overall, but the engine problem started on the return
trip. The performance controller makes a noticeable difference, great for
smoking Rangers, Explorers, S10/15's and such like going up mountain
passes!

On the internal controller failure code, I talked to someone at Chrysler
Fuel Injection where the Mopar controllers are built and he said that some
of the very early performance controllers gave that fault code although
there was no problem with the controller. He offered to check out my
controller, unfortunately I didn't get his name or phone number. BUT, I
called the Mopar performance hotline and they gave me the number, which is
an 800 number as I remember. If the price of gas once again becomes
reasonable (less d**n expensive), the performance controller will be
reinstalled.

Good luck.

Larry Elliott, 92 V6 4x4, NRA LIFE