RE: Dakota Stuff

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Wed May 08 1996 - 10:21:59 EDT

Cc: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET
From: hornback@qualcomm.com@INTERNET on Wed, May 8, 1996 7:10 AM
Subject: Re: Dakota Stuff

>Hi-Po computer? Sounds interesting. Is that an aftermarket computer that
>gives better performance? Would it still pass a California smog test? Are
>there any memory chips (eprom's) that can be swapped on the Dakota's?

Mopar Performance sells a replacement computer for the Magnum series of engines
that improves performance. They also sell what they call a R/T Package that
consists of the computer, hi-flow air filter, a cam and cat back exhaust system
that bumps the power of the 5.2l from 220 hp to 275hp.

I do not believe that these items have a CARB exemption so technically they are
for off road use only. However, the computer is such an easy swap that putting
back the stock computer for a periodic smog test is no big deal at all. I do not
know about California's smog testing but here in Mass the MP computer in my
Daytona does not impact the ablity to pass the yearly test.

CC computers do not have an easily accessable E^2 that can be swapped out like
other manufacturers so it requires replacing the whole logic module. As a result
you can only get these from Mopar Performance.

Dave Clement
89 4x4