RE: OBD and the Future of Emmissions

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Fri May 10 1996 - 09:46:15 EDT

From: Clement_D on Fri, May 10, 1996 9:48 AM
Subject: RE: OBD and the Future of Emmissions
To: CSiano@banyan.com@INTERNET; dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET

This message was sent using a custom form that is not installed on your
server. Some information from the original message may not be displayed. To
view the complete message, ask your network manager to install the form on
your server.

From: CSiano@banyan.com@INTERNET on Fri, May 10, 1996 8:21 AM

>One more item. Does anyone else see the new trend toward 100,000 mile
>tune-up intervals a real problem? Sure it sounds nice, but the wear and
>tear over 100,000 miles to spark plugs, fuel filters, belts, hoses,
>electrical, etc. is asking for trouble to happen. One of the things I love

>when doing my 10,000 mile tune-ups (sometimes more often) is that I can
>catch all the little problems before they leave me stranded. The only
>thing a 100,000 mile tune-up is going to do is justify to people that cars
>don't need to be looked at anymore. Safety, efficiency, and public demands

I have not looked but I would bet that if you looked at the recomended
maintenance on these 100,000 mile tune-up cars you will find that only plugs
are on the 100,000 mile cycle (I imagine that you still have 7500 mile
maintenance intervals for things like oil changes and check and adjust
items).

With the platnum plugs used today that mileage is a realistic possibility. I
have been using Autolite platnums for some time now in all my vehicles and
replace them every two years (that equates to 50k-60k on my daily driver)
and they do not need replacing when I take them out. The only other normal
ware item (cap and rotor) that has been part of the classic tune-up is fast
going the way of the points and condensor. The current generation of
silicone ignition wires can easily last 100,000 miles (and many veheicles
are doing away with them altogether with coils mounted directly on the plug).

I guess the point I want to make is 100,000 mile tune-up intervals are a
great marketing ploy that really does not have much of an impact on what you
should be doing to maintain your vehicle. The people that care will likely
cut short (or at least follow) all of the recomended maintainence intervals
and those that do not are not effecting the perfomance much.

Dave Clement