RE: Tow hitches -Reply

From: Steve Gepford (gepfords@ohsu.edu)
Date: Tue May 14 1996 - 12:14:42 EDT

Dick Mellon wrote:

>I bought a Draw-Tite receiver hitch for my 88 sport short box 4X4. >When I
>read specifications & install tips in box I found it was not rated >for
use
>with load
>equalizer bars. When I put it in position to install,the rear of the
>receiver
>was a good 6 inchs in front of the bumper,which would have required >a
very long
>tow bar. The bar which was included put the ball under the bumper. >Yes,I
>returned it for a refund. The step bumper is working very adquitely.

Thanks for the heads up on the potential drawbacks to be considered.

My step bumper (up until now), has also worked just fine pulling my boat's
and utility trailer.

However, I have recently acquired a camp trailer "Sleeps four",and uses a
larger ball than does my boat's and utility trailer. Also I bought a New,
still in the box, never been opened, "WARN" Pull Pak Security Winch from my
daughter for $300 dollars. It has a maximum load capacity of 3500 lbs. Cost
new anywhere from $525 @ Baxter's auto parts - $598 from Warn
Manufacture's. My daughter won it in a "$6.00" raffle drawing and had no
use for it so I bought it from her.

The winch is removable and has a 12' remote control cord. It attaches to a
rear hitch receiver. So as you can see, I now have two reasons to go to the
receiver type hitch.

Thanks all for the tips and hint's,
Steve