Re: K&N and a flow through muffler

From: toonman@discoverware.com
Date: Wed May 29 1996 - 15:28:02 EDT

> From: elliott@cyberspace.com (Jane V Elliott)

> When I put the K&N on my 92 3.9 I didn't notice any improvement in
> performance or mileage, and the same with my bike. Both have stock air
> filter housings/cans though and stock exhaust systems. If you had headers
> and/or a free flowing muffler together they might make a difference.
>
> Don't think that they make a performance engine controller for the pre
> Magnum engines either, but Mopar does sell cams for the pre Magnums and
> you can get headers for yours too. No cams or headers for the Magnum
> 3.9's that I know off. We both get the shaft, just different ends.

I've got a 92 with a 3.9 as well. I haven't done the air filter yet, but I
just replaced the factory exaust with a Walker perforance exaust (flow
through, bigger pipe etc.) BIG BIG improvement, and alot louder. Hills that
I regularly take I used to down shift on, now I don't have to. I noticed on
the old pipe that there was a spot that the pipe had been bent going around
the axle causing a constricted air flow spot. I couldn't tell if this was
bad design or just me smashing it into something and causing it to bend.
The angles looked intentional, but it was awfully rusty, so I couldn't
tell. And a bit louder... who cares, this is a truck, not a luxury car...

Vince