RE: Magnum -> '88 Dakota

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 04 1996 - 11:37:57 EDT

>> Didn't Chrysler extend the Dakota's nose about 3" in '93, when they

The Body changeover occured in '92, and while I can't say for certain, I
don't believe the frame is at all different -- just the front grill and
maybe not even the front fenders. We ought to get two Dakotas side-by-
side to nail this down.

What I noticed for my electric fan conversion (not done yet) is that the
post '92 [Magnum] front end is pointy, while the old style (and current
2.5l Dakotas retain this) have flat front ends (and the old style,
rectangular headlights). The new style has the radiator scrunched right
up behind the grill. With AC and tow package there is NO room for a fan
ahead of the radiator, but about 3" behind it (even with the 5.2).

So I think you could update an older truck, but expect to buy a whole new
front end - bumpers, facia, grill, headlight assemblies, radiator, and the
sheetmetal subassembly (front clip) that it all attaches to. Not a cheap
proposition, except compared to the price of a new Dakota (ouch!!!).

For those interested, the electric fan I would LIKE to put on the truck
is the one found on the F*RD Lincoln Mark VIII. Looks to be really quiet,
is designed to cool a big V8 and pull through a lot of heat exchangers
(radiator, AC condenser, tranny cooler, oil cooler, power steering cooler)
and it's the right diameter. It's also very rare, and/or expensive. So
instead I'm going to use six (count 'em 6) little motorcycle fans. I got
a great deal on them (they don't fail before people pile up their sport
bikes) they're efficient (less than 2 amps each) and I can stagger their
activation to meet the underhood temperature demand. Well, now that I have
the 1 7/16" wrench for the stock fan...

BTW, changing the serpentine belt is a breeze. __DON'T__ pay someone to do
this!! 15mm wrench on the idler/tensioner to get slack, slip the old one
off the center idler and then the rest of the pulleys - slip on the new one.
I couldn't believe how easy it was. Incidently, Goodyear is making a new
multi-groove belt with cross-grooves to eliminate ridge cracking and the
eventual chipping and belt failure. This time I put on a NAPA/Gates, but
next time [stock belt was cracking, but functional at 83K] ...

Happy Motoring,

Jim
P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P
   I love lush forests, running streams, naked women, and motorcycles.
            I hunt and eat red meat, thus I'm a game manager.
 I own a fossil-guzzling truck, yet I Tread Lightly! wherever I go,
   and pick up all the trash you environmentalist city folk leave behind.
 I own and use an Evil Black Gun (or two) but I'm not a criminal.
 Paradox? No, I'm from Dakota Territory (Montana) where a man's born FREE.
          ~%@%~ Politically Incorrect and Proud of It! ~%@%~
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-