Re: Dodge Dakota 1992 (fwd)

From: Michael Meyerhoff (mmeye@umr.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 10 1996 - 16:31:57 EDT

>>>Can you advise me as to difficulties any other owners of 1992 dakota's
>>>have had with paint. My son and myself both own 1992 dakotas and the
>>>paint is peeling severely. I can be emailed at glenndb@aol.com
>>>

>>I have a '92 Dakota club cab with peeling paint on the roof. Everywhere
else on the truck is fine just the roof. There were about 20 spots last
summer when the oldest started to rust through the primer. I did my best to
repair but new/old spots are showing up again this spring. I'll probably
try again soon. I plan to eventually have the whole truck custom painted,
but this is probably two years away. By then it'll be 6 years old and
probably in need a facelift anyway.

>>I'm including a recent post to the DML in its entirity. I decided I
probably couldnt get a repaint because i'm the 3rd owner and never held
warrenty.

>>Here it is
>>(snip)
>>There was a question a while ago about peeling paint. For the benefit of the
>>newsgroup-impaired:
>>
>>Article 27405 of rec.autos.makers.chrysler:
>>From: rdrjohn@aol.com (RdrJohn)
>>Subject: Paint problems, we won!!!
>>Date: 2 Jun 1996 23:09:32 -0400
>>
>>I would like to relate two stories of Chrysler paint problems and how we
>>won. The main thing is BE PERSISTANT!!
>>
>>1) A co-worker of mine owns a 1990 Jeep Cherokee with only 30 k miles on
>>and the paint is peeling off the hood, roof, and rear door. Don't deal
>>with the dealer, they don't have any authority and they will just give you
>>the run around. Find the local zone office (in your warrenty book) and
>>talk to the manager there. They have the authority to get vehicles
>>repainted. My friend got his 1990 Jeep Cherokee completely repainted for
>>free. The key to his situation was low mileage.
>>
>>2) I also own a 1990 Jeep Cherokee but I had 90 k miles on it and the
>>paint was peeling off the hood, roof, and rear door. My journey took a
>>little longer. I dealt with the dealer and local zone manager. Offers to
>>me ranged from nothing, to a percentage based on miles left until 100 k
>>(approx 10%), to 25% participation, to 50/50. Since I knew that Chrysler
>>repainted entire vehicles for free I took Chrysler to small claims court.
>>The court cost me $21 to file and Chrysler settled out of court for a $250
>>deductible.
>>
>>The key, BE PERSISTANT!!! Chrysler will blow you off, not return your
>>calls, and give you the run around. They will claim that they do not
>>repaint vehicles, that it is your driving habits, it is past warranty, say
>>you will never win in court, etc. Don't buy it!
>>
>>Some useful information to get is your vehicle technical service bulliten
>>from alldata.com on the Web. It will show (as it did for my 1990 Jeep
>>Cherokee) that Chrysler sent information to its dealers about paint
>>problems and how to deal with them. The other trick is to find the legal
>>name to sue Chrysler in your state. You need to write your State and find
>>out Chrysler's legal name. In California it is: Chrylser Corportation,
>>c/o C T Corporation, 818 West Seventh Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017.
>>Finally, document all your conversations with Chrysler representatives. I
>>caught Chrysler in many double talks because they forget which "story"
>>they are telling which customer.
>>
>>If you want any other information, email me at rdrjohn@aol.com.
>>(snip)

                        Michael Meyerhoff
                          mmeye@umr.edu
                    http:\\www.umr.edu\~mmeye

I'm now at home so I've removed the Dorm info. Have a nice summer I will.

        413 Adams Drive
               Waterloo IL 62298

        Home Phone #
        1 618 939 3717