Error Codes, was: RE: Noisy fan dies, pealing pain...

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 14 1996 - 14:06:03 EDT

Dave Clement writes:
>Anytime you disconnect the battery the codes are cleared (may take several
>seconds). Also anytime you disconnect the battery you will get a code 12
>indicating that power had been lost. This will stay until the ignition has
>been cycled on/off 20-50 times (the number of times is year dependant). Also,
> any code that is stored will clear it self if the problem goes away after
>the same number of ignition cycles.

I wonder if the dealer diagnostic software can query the SBEC for the time-
stamp (for lack of a better term for the ignition cycle count) of a code?

>NOTE: The ABS trouble codes are obtained by shorting the diagnostic

Do these then display through the check engine light? I'll have to check
my FSM.

Good Info!

Jim
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes,
but in having new eyes." -- Proust